Scrapping, Hair & Halloween?

Whenever I scrap more than 1 layout in a month, I feel like I should throw myself some sort of party. I’m continually amazed at how many layouts some of my digi-scrapping friends churn out in a month's time, and know that the measly 3 or 4 that get me all excited and feeling accomplished look paltry in comparison—but hey, that’s the way it works for me. I have 3 creative mojo modes: design-mojo, scrap-mojo and something-else-mojo (the latter meaning that I’m pouring my creativity into something completely non-scrap related). So yes, I feel a personal sense of pride when I’ve experienced more than one round of scrap-mojo in the span of a month. This month I’ve managed to scrap…

…an old picture of Madison (her hair is SO short! I forgot that it was ever that short) with a kit from my girl Amanda, called "Like Totally" that fit that crazy, funky outfit my little diva is sporting

…a few recent pictures of Madison that just blow me away every time I look at them because I can’t believe how grown up she looks, using some products from Dysfunctional Design

…and one last recent photo of Madison in a rare moment where she was unaware of the camera (those are always my favorites), using the collab that I did with Dysfunctional Design (which is pretty damn gorgeous, if I do say so myself!)

A little over a week ago, I went into a salon and got a major hair overhaul. When I went in my hair was about 6” shy of being waist length, and was dark, dark brown. I came out with a short cut (the longest hair on my head is now my bangs) and a color that is much, much closer to my natural golden blonde (ultimately I want it quite a bit lighter still, but I have to take that in phases, despite my impatience).  Because I babied the heck out of my hair with the exception of the repeated coloring, I was able to donate the length to Locks of Love. I felt a certain measure of pride when the stylist told me that I could donate it because it was in such good condition. I hadn’t had a haircut since 2006 aside from my own time spent playing search and destroy for split ends (yes, I actually did sit and pick through my hair looking for splits and clipping them off one by one). I used sulfate-free shampoo, did protein packs twice a month and rarely ever dried my hair with a blow drier or heat styled it. It’s hard work taking good care of long hair, but I was happy to be able to donate it because I didn’t think I’d be able to due to the repeated coloring. And let me just say that I’m tickled to death with how quick washing/drying/styling my hair is now! I’m going to save a bundle in shampoo and conditioner too! ;)  Alas I’ve yet to get any good pictures of my new, short hair. There’s a reason why 99% of the time I’m behind the camera rather than in front of it. I’m just more comfortable that way. ;)

Finally, we’re in full swing with Halloween planning and prep in the Piegdon household. Yes, you read that right. I said Halloween. For those of you who don’t know, we throw a large, pretty involved Halloween party each year for the big “kids.” We started hosting the party in 2006 and each year we’ve started the planning process earlier and earlier. Both Scott and I feel a certain drive (and dare I say, expectation?) to make the party bigger and better than the year before and that takes time and a LOT of planning. We started getting down to business last week and as of tonight we have the party theme chosen, the invitations designed, some niggling concerns from last year addressed with new ways of doing a couple things, our party favor gift packs planned (we’re now in the process of finding affordable vendors for a few of the more niche items), and some new features planned. No costumes for us have been officially chosen, which weirds me out a bit because usually, I know very early on what the winning choice is. This year’s decision isn’t as easy as years past. We’ll soon be having serious decor discussions and I need to try to find a couple of the recipes that went over well from last year because my party files seem to have gotten lost in my computer move. :(  I wish I could be less cryptic about the specific details of what we’ve decided on, but I don’t want to spoil the surprise for those who attend the party and may be reading this. I promise I will blog a post-party rundown though, as I’m really excited about some of the things we have going on and really want to share. :)

Well, that’s all for me tonight. I feel the need to crawl under the covers and warm up. I managed to get myself a decent sunburn during my walk today and the AC feels twice as cold as it normally does (which means I’m feeling the deepfreeze over here!).

1 comments:

May 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM listgirl said...

I love the mishmash of topics in this post! I have been scrapping less as well... just can't fit everything in anymore. I'm anxious to see your new hair, it sounds fab! And I can't wait to see your famous Halloween party pics in November!